Home / York St John University
York St John University
York St John University is an outstanding university, known for its academic excellence and responsive nature, always putting the student at the heart of everything it does. Our magnificent campus is located in the centre of the historic City of York. Our eleven-acre site on Lord Mayor’s Walk is in a stunning setting facing the world-famous York Minster across the city walls.
Our award winning campus has undergone a £100 million transformation over the past 10 years to ensure students benefit from the right environment in which to study and live. Originally built around a quadrangle, newer buildings including De Grey Court and the Fountains Learning Centre which houses the library, IT facilities and a modern lecture theatre. The Foss Building houses our sports hall, a physiology laboratory, a biomechanics lab, a psychology lab, a fitness suite, physiotherapy labs and general teaching rooms.
Other facilities include a dance studio, drama studio, music rooms (both practical and technical), TV and film production facilities, editing suites and dedicated art and design studios. There is a number of catering outlets and the Students’ Union has a bar, café, shop and offices on campus.
- York St John was originally founded in May 1841 as York Diocesan Training School;
- The University was granted Taught Degree Awarding Powers in 2005 and became York St John University in October 2006;
- A total of 6,105 undergraduate and postgraduate students study at York St John University (June 2014);
- Currently, students from 60 countries around the world study at the University (June 2014);
- York St John University is a significant employer in the city of York and the North Yorkshire region, with approximately 720 staff (June 2014);
- Over £100 million has been invested in new, cutting-edge facilities, grounds and buildings over the past 10 years – including the iconic De Grey Court building which has won several, high-profile and prestigious awards and Holgate student centre, a one-stop-shop providing exceptional learner support services and facilities. Work is currently underway to redevelop a 57-acre sports site on Haxby Road, Biomedical Science facilities are being installed on campus and the Temple Hall venue is being renovated over the summer (June 2014);
- 92% of students are in employment or full-time study six months after graduating. Of those in employment, 73% obtain professional/managerial roles (June 2014);
- York St John University’s Chancellor is The Most Rev and Rt Hon Dr John Sentamu, Archbishop of York;
- York Minster (one of the most magnificent cathedrals in the world and a mere stone’s throw from the campus) provides the spectacular setting for our graduation ceremonies;
- The University is renowned for its innovative, campus-based business mentoring initiatives – including the Phoenix Centre incubation facility, and the DesignWorks unit – which work with students and new businesses to develop talent and encourage growth and success;
- York St John Students’ Union is a member of the Students’ Union Evaluation Initiative (SUEI) and proudly holds a silver award for its services for students and a gold award in the Green Impact Initiative.
In collaboration with York St John University (UK), TEG International College offers the following programmes: